Monday, July 22, 2013

Queens 10k

There's nothing quite like taking the train to Queens at 6am. Lucky for me the 2 pulled into the station just as I was walking down the stairs and the same thing happened as I stumbled onto the 7 platform. Only downside was that I'd planned on it taking a hour and half, thanks hopstop. What's a girl to do with an hour to kill in Flushing Meadows Corona Park at 7am on a Sunday? Watch one of the 10 or 12 soccer games of course!
Who knew people woke up at the crack of dawn to do anything other than run! These games were no joke. The game I watched involved players getting yellow cards and some incredible athletic talent. Thanks for keeping me entertained red team! 
But I didn't travel all the way out to Queens just to watch a soccer game. No, I was here to run! Well in the incredible heat and humidity it ended up being more of a jog. 

I made my way to the corrals at 7:50 to find that they were beyond packed. We could have used at least another 10 feet per corral with the number of people crowding the edges trying to get in. It was pretty crazy trying to shuffle to the start line with everyone pushing in but we made it and it was time to go! 

I've never been to this park before so I truly enjoyed the tour of all the major attractions. The Museum. the unisphere, citifield, arther ashe stadium, mirror lake, and all the great sculptures were a great distraction from the humidity. If only there was a way to block out the highway we ran beside it would have been perfect. 

I was impressed with the number of runners who decided to tackle the challenge given the weather and even more impressed watching some of the slower runners run around the unishpere after I finished. It takes pure determination to stick with it in this weather and I was proud of each and every one of them. 

This certainly wasn't my best race but it was fun. I jogged at a comfortable pace and walked each water stop to ensure I didn't end up like the two runners I saw being treated by EMS. I also knew I'd be doubling up and running again mid-afternoon and then heading to Nike's version of Kick the Can that night so I didn't want to over do it. 

Overall a good experience but I don't think I'll be making the trek out to Queens next year when there are so many great Central Park races that are literally right outside my front door. 

No comments:

Post a Comment