Wednesday, July 24, 2013

I Can, And I Will!


Sometimes we all need a motto or mantra to help us through a tough run or just a tough day. This morning I set out on what I knew was a challenging route. There are hundreds of people who run this particular route every day but its out of the ordinary for me. On the rare occasions I have run it, it has been incredibly hard. I guess you could say that when I usually end up on this particular path I've already run 23 miles so of course it would be hard.


My route this morning included the final 3 and half miles of the nyc marathon route. I've run nyc twice and just get telling myself to get to central park. The problem with that is central park is no cake walk. There are quite a few hills that don't exactly treat your tired legs well. For this reason, I've made a goal to run this route, in this direction at least once a week until the big day. They way muscle memory will take over and I'll be able to cruise across the finish line instead of struggling mentally and needing walk breaks. 


In addition to becoming familiar with this route, I also need to build mental toughness. I give up on myself during almost every run and I hate it. I rarely push as hard as I should and its simply because of that horrible little voice in my head. 


Let's hope that voice will still be asleep as I tackle my first midweek longish run tomorrow morning. Nothing like 7 or 8 miles to start my Thursday right! Bring it Central Park!

No comments:

Post a Comment