Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Holy Hot

When will this heat wave end?! Don't get me wrong, I love the heat...just not when I'm running. If I were back home in Maine, sitting on the dock with my heat in the water, I'd be in heaven. But, I'm not. Instead I'm in nyc, pounding the payment of Central Park during my first official week of marathon training. While it's only been two day, I'm pretty excited to say its going extremely well. 

My first training run for the 2013 ING NYC Marathon this past Monday
4 miles on the Treadmill
Overall pace: 9:35 min/mi
Mile 1: 6.0mph or 10 min/mi
Mile 2: 6.0mph or 10 min/mi
Mile 3: 6.0mph or 10 min/mi
Mile 4: 7.0mph or 8:34 min/mi
The last mile was awesome! I felt strong and probably could have pushed for another mile but I didn't. One of my goals this year is to not over do it. I was to train the right way which will include sticking to the plan, not running more than scheduled, and taking rest days. 

Day 2: Tuesday
4 Miles on the Treadmill
Overall pace: 9:15 per mile
This time I started with my first two miles at 6.3, took the third down to 6.0 and then picked it up for the final mile. 

I used to always stick with once pace when on the treadmill. If I started at 6.0, I'd finish at 6.0 but I must say, I'm loving my new tactic of taking it up a notch on the final mile. I think it will really help me in races and hope that it might even translate into faster running overall. 

Twitter has been quite entertaining in regard to the heat this week. (Follow me at @annierunsnyc) Although most are complaining about it, some are offering words of wisdom. Here are a few:

Any distance, at ANY pace this morning, call it a victory. It's just hotter than hell this week, be smart and lower your expectations.

@INGNYCMarathon posted a great questions today to kick off marathon training. "What are you doing to prepare now that it's OFFICALLY 16 weeks until the marathon?"
My answer is simple: I offically start training today!
Others had some great responses:

  • @jmac82 said he's training through this heat wave and using it to (his) advantage.
  • @edmGatorGirl said she's "training both body and mind!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment