Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Rain, Rain, Go Away

Good Morning,

Its a dreary day in nyc. I woke up this morning to an emergency alert on my phone warning of flash flooding in the area so I knew from the moment I opened my eyes that this ways going to be a gross day.
On my way to work. Despite the fact that I was soaked after only walking
two blocks, this made me smile. Who doesn't love little kids with umbrellas. 

There was half an inch on water on the sidewalk, ugh!
It's funny how quickly things change over night. Last night was one of those nights that I just had zero motivation. I finished up a meeting at a venue near Bryant Park and decided to walk home from work. Halfway home I called my bf and told him I was bored. I'm not sure what I expected him to do about it but he just laughed and asked if I wanted him to meet me halfway and walk with me. Isn't he good!

When we finally bumped into each other on Central Park West, I noticed something odd. He was wearing running clothes...and he's not a runner. He decided he was going to go for a run after he walked me home. Who is this guy?!

We got to talking about dinner and that's when I knew I was in trouble. I just wanted to pick something up on the way home while he suggested that I go home, change into my running stuff, and head out the door for my usual loop of the park. He said that by the time he finished his run, he'd head to the grocery store on the way home to pick up some veggies, head home and make dinner which should be ready by the time I got home. Now this would normally be a flawless plan! One that would make me jump up an down as I've been trying to get him to eat more healthy and to try running for years now but not today. I just had no desire to run myself. He did everything I asked him to do a few weeks ago. He reminded me of my upcoming Brooklyn Half and pointed out that summer was right around the corner so even a short run would be better than nothing. I just didn't want to hear it.

We parted ways as he entered the park for his run and I knew that I just couldn't must the energy to follow though with my end of the plan. Instead, he came back from his run 30 minutes later to find me sitting on the couch watching tv. Who am I? I actually had time to run while the weather was nice and I wanted no part of it.

After dinner I suggested we go for a walk to look for a picnic basket and maybe treat ourselves to some ice cream. He was game for a walk so he tagged along. Halfway to the store he suggested we pick up some fresh fruit for dessert instead of ice cream and I just about died! Now this is definitely not the same guy. Usually he suggested dessert every night and I'm the one who occasionally suggests a healthier swap.

We picked up some fruit and he had another errand to run as I headed home. The breeze had died down and the weather was absolutely perfect. Combine that with all the runners exiting the park, just finishing up their run and I was hit. I desperately wanted to run.I was jealous of these runners and by the time the bf got home I was already dressed and had my sneakers on. He just laughed and wished me a good run.

The run itself was also unique. I ran using just the stopwatch instead of the screen with my distance and pace. I couldn't believe how incredibly freeing it was. I ran an usual loop taking some of the paths instead of the road so when I ended up back at home all I knew was that I had run a continuous 39 minutes and 33 seconds. I was curious to know the total distance as at time I felt like I was crawling up Cat Hill but in the end it turns out I ran 4.2 miles which means I was able to maintain a pace under 10 minutes per mile. Go me!

It's funny how sometimes you switch roles in a relationship and everything you've been preaching is turned around and aimed back at you. It was precisely what I needed last night and I am so thankful to have someone who knows just what I need.

I'll leave you with a few pictures of our walk this past Saturday. With today's raining weather it sure feels like this was weeks ago!




No comments:

Post a Comment