Sunday, May 19, 2013

Brooklyn Half 2013

The morning started off pretty early with a 4:45 wake up to catch a train at 5:10. I wasn't sure how strict nyrr was going to be with their baggage and corral closing times so with an hour train ride ahead of me I didn't want to take any chances. 

Luckily I got there in plenty of time. They said they were closing the baggage trucks as I walked up but they were still accepting bags at least ten minutes later. 

As someone who has lived in Manhattan for almost 9 years, I'm embarrassed to say I've only ever been to Brooklyn on three other occasions. Once for last year's Brooklyn Half and twice during the ING NYC Marathon. The marathon doesn't really count since I just ran through but hey I want still technically in Brooklyn. 

The course for the Brooklyn take runners on quite an impressive tour of the borough. You start by the Brooklyn Museum, run past Gran Army Plaza, the zoo, The Brooklyn Botanic Gardens, through Prospect Park and on down to Coney Island. Take all that plus the Pre Race Party under the BrooklynBridge  and you've covered most of the borough! 
The Brooklyn Museum
Runners taking advantage of the stairs
Blurry Start Line, sorry 
The view from corral 19. We were the last corral in the first wave but actually started only 5 minutes after the gun. The people facing left and waiting for the bathroom. NYRR placed portapotties in each corral which allowed runners to focus on getting to the corrals on time. The only downside was the horrible smell in each corral. 
The Blue Brother! They started in my corral and I actually ran with them for most the race. 
The view from out corral. So many people!
The stage. Runners made a left in front of the stage and crossed the start line just around the corner. The second wave was lined up on the other side on the stage facing us. 
The lead pack! We were about a half mile in as they can flying up the other side almost to their mile 3 and about to enter Prospect Park.

I wish I had taken more pictures along the course but I was focused on my run. I was determined to race the Brooklyn Half which sounds like an obvious thing but to me is pretty novel. You see, I tend to just jog every race and have never really had my head in the game. Not this time! I'm proud to say I staid focused and accomplished so much during this race. I showed myself what I'm capable of and gave myself a glimpse of what I could do if I put the effort in. 
After leaving Prospect Park we took the ramp onto Ocean Parkway. We were halfway there and I was feeling strong.

The view behind me. 
The wasn't much to see between mile 7 and mile 12.5. We ran a long, straight, flat 5.5 miles along Ocean Parkway until we reached Coney Island. There were a few spectators along the way but for the most part we just ran. I did enjoy the toddler chanting, " Go Dad, Go!" Oh and who could forget the man in the patriotic speedo with the sign, "You look better than I do!" Classic.
Post Finish. The boardwalk is cool but every so often I seemed to step on a loose board. While I know it is perfectly safe, it still makes me nervous. At least it was less that a quarter mile!
Amazing photo From @fitnessjenna. The view of runners making the turn onto the Boardwalk from the F train. 

Overall it was a great race! I just wish it didn't take me an hour and a half to get home after. 












No comments:

Post a Comment