Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Day I Tried Spin

I've wanted to take a spin class for the past few months but have never found a class that fits in my schedule. Last week I finally told myself it was time. I called the gym exactly 24 hours before the scheduled class to get on the list and was told it was already full. Naturally, i asked when the list opens so I could try again this week and was told it opens 24 hours before class. Really? That can't be right. This week I called 26 hours before the class and was able to snag the last spot in the class.

As soon as I got on the list I started to get nervous. What should I wear? How do I set up the bike? Will I look like a struggling newbie? Everyone at work was insistent that it was going to be hard and that I definitely be incredibly sore after my first class. Well, everyone other than Alison who said,"you run marathons. You'll be fine." This is true but I was still hesitant.

I had an awesome lunch from Whole Foods that brightened my day. Even if this class was horrible, at least I'd enjoy a very tasty meal.

I arrived at the gym a half hour before class to make sure I could find and put my things in the locker room and get into the spin room early to get set up. A half hour might have been a bit too early. I hopped on the elliptical for a 15 minute warm up so I wasn't the wierdo sitting alone in the spin room.

I walked into the room 10 minutes before the scheduled 6:15 start and there were only 5 bikes left. Thank goodness I was able to grab this bike in the second row. There was no way I would have been able to focus on the class if I were in front. I'm one of those self conscious types who would be spending way more time wondering if I was doing it wrong or if everyone noticed I was the new kid. I can honestly say this worry went right out the window once we started and I was in a focus on me mode the entire class.
Perfect bike location other than the huge
 pile of garbage bags.

Our instructor started right on time and warmed us up to some great music. His music selections were great throughout class and the only complaint I had was his awkward wanna be rapper dance moves when he wasn't on the bike.

Overall the class was good. I felt like I was working and I was certainly sweating by the end. I definitely didn't get that "omg I must do this again tomorrow. This was the best thing ever" feeling. Would I take another spin class? Sure. If I happened to finish up a workout at the gym as a class was starting then I'd grab a bike. Fighting to sign up for a coveted spot on the list? Not me.

I had high hopes that this was going to be amazing and while it was good, it was not amazing. You're far more likely to see me running in the park, killing it at zumba or pushing through a touch uxf burn class than on a spin bike.


No comments:

Post a Comment