Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Renewed Sense of Purpose

Last Monday, I spent an hour glued to the tv after work watching the horror in Boston play over and over again. I was shocked and a little angry that someone would try to hurt my people. As a a passionate New Englander with family in Boston and as a runner, I just couldn't understand why. The more media coverage I watched, the more overwhelmed I felt. When I just couldn't take it anymore, I turned off the tv and just sat in the quiet of my apartment for a few minutes. Not knowing what else to do, I put on my running clothes. My legs were still tired from the More/Fitness Half the day before but I just needed to get outside.

That day I ran a loop of the reservoir at a 9:36 min/mile pace. Now this is average for most people or even slow for many of the incredible bloggers I read but having run the half the day before at and 11 min/mile, this was huge!

Fueled by emotion, I wasn't thinking about running as I watched the skyline change on my way around the loop. Instead, I was focused on what had happened in Boston. The overwhelming thought was that it occurred at a time when my family would have been at the finish line waiting for me. While I know it's selfish to think of myself, I just couldn't imagine having family there supporting you and then this happening. My heart breaks for those who will carry this experience with them forever.

I didn't check my watched when I finished and in fact, didn't see the time until I turned on my watch Tuesday night for my next run. My first thought was that it was a fluke. There's no way I could sustain a two minute drop in pace that occurred in just a day. I set out for my run and decided to go just a bit longer than the day before. I again was thinking of Boston during my run and of how desperately I want runners to feel safe. I glanced down at my watch after my second mile and saw that I was right at a 9:20 pace. Again I thought this was cool but that it wouldn't last. Finishing up my third and final mile for the night, I was curious. Did I actually do it again? Sure enough, 9:26. Huh, maybe I can really hang on to this.

A week later and I've run a variety of distances, from 1.6 to 6.5 miles, all in the mid 9s. I want to see those low numbers more than even and I'm ready for them. I have the drive to work for it. I may never qualify for Boston but I'm going to I will continue to run for the victims and will work hard to push that pace even lower. This past week has given me a renewed sense of purpose and I will hold on as along as I can.

Let's all use this tragedy to renew our own strength not only in running but in all aspects of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment